Wednesday, September 28, 2011 at 1:35PM
The expected announcement didn’t disappoint.
Here’s the commercial:
TechCrunch has a good “hand’s-on” video also
Some highlights and thoughts:
- Arrives in late November
- 7” tablet versus 9” for the iPad 2 – Some people make a big deal about this but I think it’s a non-issue. At 9” the iPad2 can be unwieldy when trying to hold, read, or pull out of a backpack.
- Buyers get a three month trial to Amazon Prime and to 17 Conde Nast magazines
- Screen looks good: good color saturation and contrast.
- Resolution is 1024x600 for Kindle Fire versus 1024x768 for iPad 2. With smaller physical dimensions, this means Kindle fire has a greater pixel density than the iPad2.
- UI seems very responsive
- HD-like aspect ratio – I personally have been enjoying the more square aspect ratio of the iPad, but not a big deal